I tried to order some Kohlrabi from the local seed company two weeks ago. They informed me they didn't have any and that last year's seeds were a failure. After a short discussion the receptionist excused herself and asked me to wait for a minute. When she returned she gave me 3 packet of kohlrabi-2 purple and 1 white. She explained they had a batch from last years lot left over and didn't charge me a penny for them. I asked her what the problem was and nobody knew. This is how I sprout seeds. It's very easy and very effective. All I do is wet a paper towel with warm water and then ring it out. I place the towel on a plate, sprinkle some seeds on it, and then cover everything-plate included-inside a plastic Ziploc bag. Leave it in a place where it's over 70(our home is set at 72)and see what happens. What you don't see is the 18 other kohlrabi seeds that have fully sprouted and have been planted in potmaker cups. Every single one of these seeds sprouted, which means they can be grown. Doing this eliminates all guesswork. You now know which seeds are viable because those are the ones that sprout. All you need to do after that is put them in potting or growing soil and treat as you normally would. These will grow into full plants with water, and light. I plan on showing this to the store as they wanted to know if I could get them to grow. Now we know the seed wasn't the problem. The growers either tried to grow this at the wrong time of year(hot weather doesn't work very well with these), or their soil was the problem. Maybe a combination of both. I suppose another problem would be trying to plant them in freezing weather which could also lead to failure. Either way, these sprouted in a mere 3 days. I just gained about a week by doing it this way. More good stuff. If you've got things that need 10-14 days(or longer)to come up in potting soil, doing it this way will get you growing those a lot faster. More fun stuff.
Share the Love
free square foot gardening seasonal newsletter