It was hot!

sfg thermostat2I’ve been using a different weighted plastic this year to get me through the winter. Usually I’ve used a 6-mil plastic but now I’ve got a heavier duty commercial plastic covering my square foot gardens. The sun came out early today and it was 43 when I got home from work. I’d been used to plastic covers increasing the temps about 30 degrees warmer than the outside air. The thermostat showed about 82-a 40 degree increase. There’s a lot of things that can grow at that temperature, and the things growing under there right now probably aren’t the ones that can. I had to make sure that I vented it-in this case I just pulled the plastic off about half-way so it stayed fairly warm underneath but protected from the wind. So far things are growing nicely under the plastic-regardless of the harsh winter we’ve been experiencing.

Subscribe to receive free seasonal newsletters discussing square foot gardening topics!
Or catch us on one of these social networks
Join a community of 3000+ users by signing up to our weekly newsletter!
Or catch us on one of these social networks
Did you enjoy this post?
Share the Love
free square foot gardening seasonal newsletter

2 thoughts on “It was hot!

  • by Trevor Rumsey

    Can you point me in the direction of posts you have done about seed starting? What do you recommend is the best way to do it? Thanks.

    • by Jim This is post author

      Trevor…read a few posts back and you’ll see the way I do it. It works every time and you waste no time on seeds that eventually won’t sprout. A little more work on the front end but I think it’s worth it. I like the vermiculite method(seen in my photo gallery)but I like the sprouting on a damp napkin, placed on a plate, and then covered with a ziplock bag. It takes 2-3 days for many things…Jim

Leave a Reply to Jim Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>